Discovery Club After School
Join an active and engaging licensed after-school program for children in grades K-5, conveniently located at the Leventhal-Sidman JCC.
Registration for the 2023-2024 School Year Is Now Open!
Discover where the fun and learning happens by scheduling a tour. Contact us today!
Discovery Club is a vibrant, welcoming community filled with enrichment programming, Jewish celebrations and values, learning, and fun! We are a fully-licensed program by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care. Transportation is available from select schools, and our program is open to all.
Designed for Your Family
Discovery Club operates after regular school hours (Monday–Friday from 3–6pm) and on early-release days (starting from 12:30pm).
We are proud to provide:
- Transportation from select schools.
- Competitive pricing.
- Jewish celebrations and experiences.
- Child-directed, play-based experiences and programs.
- Expert-led enrichment classes.
- Social-emotional awareness and support.
- A weekly 30-minute group swim lesson (depending on instructor availability).
- A variety of healthy snack options.
Curated for Your Child
We’re a one-stop shop for expert-led enrichment activities and programs in arts, sciences, sports, swim, and more.
Your children will take advantage of the robust JCC facilities, including the basketball & tennis courts, and indoor & outdoor play spaces.
Our curriculum integrates:
- Jewish values and holiday resources, celebrations, and experiences.
- Special events and guest experts.
- Fun physical activity and outdoor play.
- Social action projects around inclusivity, kindness, and community.
JOIN THE FUN WITHOUT THE HASSLE
We provide transportation from select elementary schools in Newton and Needham with local bussing companies, based on availability and interest. We generally service the following schools:
- Sunita L. Williams
- Memorial Spaulding
3–4pm (12:30pm on early release days)
- Healthy Snacks With Fresh Fruits & Vegetables
- Jewish Holiday Celebrations
- Indoor/Outdoor Free Play and Structured “Snack-Tivities”
4–5pm | Activity Block: Children choose from expert-led activities in:
- Arts, Sciences, Sports, Swim, Jewish Learning, Hebrew Language, and More!
- Homework Support
- Indoor/Outdoor Free-Play
- Movement Activities
- Small Group Activities
- Special Projects
- Closing Circle and Clean Up
- PJ Library® Story Time
Enrichment Classes and Activities
We offer a wide variety of programs each season — here are some examples of the programs from our roster. Get ready to watch your child’s imagination soar as they discover new passions and have fun with new friends!
Art: Drawing, Clay Sculptures, and More!
Comics & Graphic Novels
Computer Programming & Coding
Farming with Newton Community Farm
Hebrew (Academic and Play-Based)
Karishim Swim Club (Available for an Additional Fee)Learn More
Magic: The Gathering & Pokemon
Seasonal Sports & Active Games (Indoors & Outdoors)
|Yearly Cost||Optional Transportation|
|5 Days/Week||$10,240 ($200 savings!)||+$1,980|
|All Early Release Wednesdays (Newton)||+$1,332/year|
|All Early Release Wednesdays (Needham)||+$540/year|
|Any Additional Early Release Days (Newton)||+$36/day|
- Sign up for three or more days of Discovery Club and receive a one-year JCC Greater Boston family membership — a $2,000 value!
- Get in on savings!
- Discounts are available for siblings, JCC Early Learning Center families (who have siblings at a JCC Early Learning Center or who have graduated in 2023), and existing JCC member families.
- Register for all five days and save $200!
- The Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) provides financial assistance to families who meet Massachusetts median income guidelines. The amount of assistance and the number of awards given by Discovery Club depend on the availability of funds, the overall enrollment, and the level of need of the participants. Contact us to learn more.
Meet the Team
Director of Family Programming
Liane is a seasoned professional with over ten years of experience working with elementary-aged children in out-of-school settings prior to her arrival at the JCC in 2014. She is an integral part of the JCC Greater Boston team, where she creates and facilitates engaging and developmentally appropriate activities for students at Discovery Club. Her areas of focus include enrichment, academic support, physical, and social-emotional development. Liane is deeply committed to fostering a warm and nurturing community of students, parents, and teachers.
Program Manager, Discovery Club After School
Shirah is a skilled Hebrew speaker and experienced teacher, having previously served as a teaching fellow in Israel and a leader at Jewish summer camps. Since 2019, she has been working at the JCC where she has taught virtual STEM classes and engaged with hundreds of our JCC families through children’s classes, JCC birthday parties, vacation day programs, and Discovery Club After School.
Jewish Experiential Educator
Liz is an accomplished Jewish educator with over 25 years of experience prior to joining JCC Greater Boston in 2021. She has held leadership positions in both formal and informal education programs, with a particular focus on project based learning. At JCC Greater Boston, Liz expertly incorporates Jewish values, learning, and experiences into programs across the organization, bringing a wealth of knowledge and expertise to the team.
Get in Touch
Discovery Club After School
333 Nahanton Street, Newton, MA 02459
Have any questions? Just fill out this form and our team will take it from there.