Are you someone who enjoys working with children? JCC Greater Boston is seeking After School Educators to help create enriching, supportive and memorable experiences for children enrolled in Discovery Club After School. Discovery Club is an active and engaging after-school program for children in grades K-5, located at the Leventhal-Sidman JCC in Newton. This position is ideal for someone seeking engaging work where they can make a difference in children’s lives while enjoying being part of a collaborative, upbeat and friendly community. These positions will run from September 6, 2022 – June 16, 2023. This is a part time weekday position (additional weekend shifts are also available). Hourly pay rate is $18-$20+/hour. The rate offered will ultimately be determined by the number of hours scheduled, scope of the position, the candidate’s relevant experience, and internal equity.
JCC Greater Boston is deeply committed to valuing and celebrating the uniqueness of each constituent. We welcome staff and participants from diverse backgrounds. While being proudly Jewish, we strive in every way to provide an open and welcoming setting for all, irrespective of personal practices, beliefs or background. We are guided by JCC Greater Boston core values – Belonging, Joyfulness, Collaboration and Transformation - which resonate with many who do not identify as Jewish.
- Foster creative and vibrant classrooms in a safe and enriching environment.
- Create and lead engaging experiences for children in grades K-5 (ages 5-11 yrs)
- Support and implement robust social emotional learning, Jewish experiential learning and general enrichment with the guidance of Discovery Club Leadership.
- Complete some hours of orientation and onboarding prior to being in the classroom.
- Ensure compliance with Early Education & Care (EEC) policies and regulations.
- Ride transportation or supervise public school transportation pickup, as needed.
- Participate as a team member in Family Programming meetings and trainings
- Communicate effectively with Discovery Club leadership and team staff
- Other responsibilities and tasks, as needed
The Educator must be an enthusiastic team player ready to jump in to a vibrant and busy team. They must also have experience working with children and be flexible, energetic, collaborative and empathetic. In addition to these qualities, the successful candidate will also meet the following qualifications:
- Age 18 or older
- Based on licensing requirements, After School Educators must meet one of these three sets of qualifications:
- Nine months experience working with children OR
- A high school diploma or equivalent and 6 months experience working with children OR
- An Associates or Bachelor’s degree in a related field, plus 3 months experience working with children
- Highly organized and process oriented; both focused and flexible
- Excellent communicator (listening, written and verbal skills)
- Able to work effectively with a diverse group of children, families, instructors, educators, and co-workers
- Flexible, mature and responsible
- Able to pass state mandated CORI/SORI/DCF/fingerprinting background check
- JCC Greater Boston requires that new employees be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 at time of hire. The JCC will consider requests for medical or religious exemption that do not pose undue hardship or a direct threat to health or safety.
- Able to work well in a busy, dynamic and sometimes noisy environment involving multiple tasks and priorities
- Able to lift and carry objects weighing at 30-40 pounds (boxes of supplies, children’s back packs etc.)
- Able to sit and kneel, getting down at eye level with children regularly
JCC Greater Boston is a nonprofit organization with roots in earlier Settlement Houses and Young Men’s Hebrew Associations; JCC Greater Boston today offers a wide range of services and program activities throughout the Greater Boston region (~50,000 individuals annually in 98 communities). The organization provides a variety of programs and services to children and adults in the Greater Boston Jewish community including: four Toddlers, three day camps, a regional model of Jewish family engagement, a fully equipped fitness and aquatic center, arts and culture classes, performances, lectures, and Jewish holiday celebrations.
Our vision is to create a vibrant and evolving Jewish community where everyone belongs. Our mission is to be at the heart of this community by:
- creating a thriving community that nurtures meaningful and lasting relationships,
- Welcoming a growing and increasingly diverse set of individuals and families from all over Greater Boston,
- supporting the building of unique identities rooted in Jewish values and deeper connections to Jewish life,
- nourishing minds, bodies, and spirits through dynamic, innovative, and accessible experiences, and
- expanding engagement by partnering closely with other organizations to ensure the continuing vitality of our community as whole.
JCC Greater Boston takes the welfare and safety of staff and children very seriously. Over 99% of our staff have been vaccinated. We have aligned all of our operating procedures with guidance from the CDC and the state. Our practices include ensuring proper physical distancing, sanitation, hygiene, and use of face coverings to promote the health of our staff and program participants.
JCC Greater Boston welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds who meet the requirements specified above. If you want to share your talents with a great team, co-creating a thriving, dynamic organization which is devoted to community building and lasting impact, please send a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.