Become a lifeguard through our Red Cross certification process!
This certification is nationally recognized. Learn all the skills it takes to become a lifeguard and discover how to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies.
Email us at email@example.com for more information or to be notified of our next course.
What is the purpose of this course?
To provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies. To provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over.
What are the prerequisites?
Must be at least 15 years of age on or before the last day of the course. Able to pass the following prerequisite swim skills on the first day of class:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both. Swimming on the back or side is NOT allowed. Goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only legs.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute and 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water swim 20 yards. Face may be out of the water. Goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive feet or head first to a depth of 7 - 10 feet and retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface. Exit the water without using the ladder or steps.
How long is the course?
30 hours for full course and 9 hours for recertification. You must attend ALL dates in the scheduled training course. There are NO MAKE-UPS and NO EXCEPTIONS.
Each day will be held at the JCC in Newton, EXCEPT on Fridays. Pool location on Friday from 9am-12pm is at the Charles River YMCA in Needham and then back at the JCC at 1pm to start tests.
Please be aware we do not provide transportation between the Needham YMCA and the JCC
How much does it cost?
Recertification Course Fee: $150 for Newton-JCC members and $225 for Nonmembers. Additional cost of $10 for mask.
Lifeguard Course Fee: $350 for Newton-JCC members and $425 for Nonmembers. Additional cost of $35 for book and mask.
FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE. Payment in full must be received to secure your spot in this class.