Whatever calls to you...making a difference in the lives of children ...making new friends (or bringing your old friends to enjoy a camp summer together) ....earning money.... and/or having a fun and memorable time outdoors this summer, please consider joining the Camp Grossman Team! We aim to support your goals as you support ours.
FREE CAMP TUITION Parents of camp aged children are welcome to have their children enjoy the Camp Grossman experience for all weeks they are working at no charge.
GREAT HOURS WITH NIGHTS AND WEEKEND OFF Camp days run from 8:15am-4:15pm weekdays, leaving you lots of time for the other things you want to do this summer.
FREE TRANSPORTATION Counselors are welcome to use our free bus service from 31 towns around the Greater Boston area including Acton, Arlington, Belmont, Boston, Brighton, Brookline, Cambridge, Canton, Chestnut Hill, Concord, Dorchester, Framingham, Hyde Park, Jamaica Plain, Lexington, Medfield Milton, Natick, Needham, Newton, Randolph, Roslindale, Sharon, Sherborn, Somerville, Sudbury, Watertown, Wayland, Wellesley, West Roxbury, and Westwood.
FLEXIBILITY THAT WORKS FOR YOU Join us for all or part of your summer. Flexible schedules (e.g. several days per week) are also possible.
DIVERSE AND WELCOMING JCC Greater Boston is deeply committed to valuing and celebrating the uniqueness of each constituent. We welcome staff and participants from diverse backgrounds. While being proudly Jewish, we strive in every way to provide an open and welcoming setting for all, irrespective of personal practices, beliefs or background. We are guided by JCC Greater Boston core values – Belonging, Joyfulness, Collaboration and Transformation - which resonate with many who do not identify as Jewish.
CAREER DEVELOPMENT SUPPORT As a special perk for our staff this summer, the JCC is offering a 6 session program to support our staff as they prepare to launch their careers: creating your LinkedIn profile, how to see and sell your skills, identifying roles that match your goals, and resume prep are examples of what you will learn. Graduates will receive a certificate of completion to cite on their resume.
GREAT PLACE TO WORK As our alumni can tell you: Camp Grossman summers are an amazingly fun way to spend your summers while developing great skills which will serve you well in future jobs and life in general. Grossman staff work as a tight team to create wonderful experiences for children while helping them build confidence and skills. Camp Grossman is located on 75 acres of the beautiful Hale Reservation in Dover.
This role is a great opportunity for someone who wants to share their love of aquatics with children while creating a joyful, memorable summer working with children in a day camp setting. Responsibilities include: setting tone which emphasizes waterfront safety while encouraging fun, ensuring camper safety at all times (both in and out of the water), lifeguarding children during free swim, teaching children about waterfront rules, safety practices and swim skills, planning and overseeing some general camp activities including supervising campers, providing encouragement and mentoring for children, and ensuring waterfront equipment is always ready for use (including COVID prevention cleaning). Waterfront Leaders will also work in partnership with peers and Camp Leadership to provide a happy, safe and memorable summer for the children.
Camp Grossman is welcoming 700+ campers and over 250 staff this summer. The camp day runs from 8:15am-4:15pm, Monday through Friday. Orientation happens the week of June 21 and there are 3 staff meetings on various Monday evenings throughout the summer. Most counselors and staff also work 1 or 2 additional family nights or overnights, depending on their position in camp. As noted above, working for part of the summer or several days per week is possible.
- Current lifeguarding certificate
- Able to make learning fun
- Patience, flexibility and a sense of humor
- Excellent group management skills
- Truly enjoys working with children
- Possesses a strong desire to make a difference every day
- Strong teamwork and relationship building skills, the ability to multitask, the ability to manage situations effectively and diplomatically
- Ability and commitment to build strong relationships with campers, co-workers, and camp leadership
- JCC Greater Boston requires that new employees be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 at time of hire. The JCC will consider requests for medical or religious exemption that do not pose undue hardship or a direct threat to health or safety
- Able to maintain focus on water safety at all times and respond appropriately
- Capable of working in a potentially very warm, sunny environment for extended periods while wearing required personal protective equipment
- Able to make safety related decisions and perform CPR and/or first aid, as required
- Must maintain an appropriate level of fitness in order to competently perform all job related tasks including the ability to swim distances and dive to depths, as determined by testing/certification authorities
In addition to great working conditions and a rewarding position where you care for a community, the JCC Greater Boston provides competitive benefits including:
- complimentary summer and school holiday access to the JCC Greater Boston facility in Newton – offering indoor swimming and workout facilities
- competitive salary ($4745 for those working all summer including orientation and staff meetings)
- professional development program and certificate of completion
- outstanding working environment
CAMP AND AGENCY INFORMATION
JCC Greater Boston provides a variety of programs and services to children and adults in the Greater Boston Jewish community including: Early Learning Centers, summer camps, health and wellness programs, family engagement programs and cultural activities. JCC Greater Boston takes the welfare and safety of staff and children very seriously. Over 99% of our staff have been vaccinated. We have aligned all of our operating procedures with guidance from the CDC and the state. Our practices include ensuring proper physical distancing, sanitation, hygiene, and use of face coverings when appropriate to promote the health of our staff and program participants.
The JCC is deeply committed to valuing and celebrating the uniqueness of each constituent. While being proudly Jewish, we strive in every way to provide an open and welcoming setting for all, irrespective of personal practices, beliefs or background.
JCC Greater Boston welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds who meet the requirements specified above. If you want to learn more or are ready to apply, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.