JCC Greater Boston
Chief Strategic Program Officer
JCC Greater Boston (JCC), a forward thinking leader among Jewish Community Centers nationally, and one the largest Jewish organizations in New England, seeks a strategic, creative, financially savvy, and collaborative leader to serve as its Chief Strategic Program Officer (CSPO). JCC provides innovative programming and offers a wide range of services and program activities throughout the Greater Boston region including educational, cultural, social, Jewish identity-building and recreational programs for people of all ages and backgrounds.
This is an exceptional opportunity for an individual with proven leadership abilities and strong planning, managerial, and communication skills to lead programmatic and operational restructuring and to participate in shaping the future of an outstanding JCC poised for future growth.
The JCC movement was founded in 1917 to foster and develop the highest values of Jewish spiritual and cultural life through social, educational, benevolent and recreational activities. This JCC was founded in the 1940’s with roots in the earlier Settlement Houses and Young Men’s Hebrew Associations (YMHA) around Boston, and today is a vibrant, $23 million nonprofit organization serving 45,000 individuals annually in 98 communities throughout the region. JCC’s Newton headquarters, located on a 25-acre campus which abuts conservation land, is in the midst of a major 2018 renovation. The first phase is a $10 million project that began in April and is expected to be completed in October. The re-imagined main campus will create innovative and adaptable learning and wellness spaces to meet the evolving needs of the community. The JCC is deeply committed to serving a community that is increasingly diverse, and to valuing and celebrating the uniqueness of every constituent. The JCC’s current programs include four preschools, two day camps, an overnight camp in Maine, early parenting support, a fully equipped fitness and aquatics center, arts and culture classes, performances and lectures, and Jewish holiday celebrations.
Reporting directly to the President and CEO, the CSPO will partner closely with the Chief Financial and Administrative Officer (CFAO) to build on a newly created and collaborative reporting structure that replaces the prior organizational structure where all reporting lines rolled up through a Chief Operating Officer. Within this new strategic framework, the CSPO is responsible for leading the JCC’s efforts to broadly engage a community whose Jewish identity is evolving; boosting the JCC’s business development capacity to realize the full revenue potential; and overseeing a dynamic team that consists of the Assistant Vice President for Camping Services, Assistant Vice President of Health, Fitness and Membership, Assistant Vice President of Marketing, and Vice President for Early Education.
The ideal candidate will bring significant experience in designing, developing, positioning and managing an innovative portfolio of programs and services in the nonprofit or private sectors. This candidate will also bring a nuanced understanding of Jewish communal engagement of diverse constituencies. They will have a track record of thinking creatively to generate new contributed revenue streams and ideally has experience operating within an earned revenue intuitional environment. A bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree in a related field is strongly preferred. The CSPO will be an accessible and approachable colleague with integrity and credibility, who brings an unwavering commitment to collaboration, quality, and team work, as well as a dedication to the mission of the JCC.
The JCC has retained the services of Isaacson, Miller, a Boston-based national executive search firm to assist in conducting this important search. All inquiries should be directed to Isaacson, Miller as noted at the end of this document.
Inquiries, nominations/referrals, and resumes with 1–2 page cover letters, should be directed in confidence to:
Rebecca Swartz, Partner, Sydney Giller, Associate, ISAACSON, MILLER, http://www.imsearch.com/6553
Electronic submission of credentials is strongly encouraged.
JCC Greater Boston is seeking a self-motivated Marketing Coordinator with an interest in mission-driven work to provide day-to-day support to the Marketing Department, in particular to the Account Directors. Responsibilities will include support of omni-channel marketing strategy through: distribution of press releases and postings to community partners, updating JCC Greater Boston’s website, creation of marketing emails, printed marketing materials, marketing content and assets; vendor management; and social media strategy execution. This position is 35 hours per week.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Write and distribute press releases and postings to external websites, publications, and organizations.
- Assist in content and asset management for JCC Greater Boston website
- Assist in updating JCC Greater Boston website functionality and usability
- Support email marketing strategy
- Work with designer to create promotional marketing materials to support agency programming
- Manage in-house distribution of marketing materials
- Take photographs for use across marketing platforms and materials
- Assist with additional projects assigned by department
- General office work: word processing, data entry, mailings, etc.
- Work with outside vendors including print production, direct mail, and promotional materials providers
- Execute social media strategy and identify areas of opportunity
- Traffic internal projects from inception through delivery
- Participate as a team member in Marketing Department events
- Other duties as required by business needs
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements:
Education: BA/BS preferred
Experience and Skills:
- 1-2 years Marketing experience
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Self-starter with the ability to own projects from start to finish
- Expertise in Microsoft office suite including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Experience using a CMS or with HTML a plus
- Experience using social media platforms
- Experience with Photoshop a plus
- Great interpersonal skills and professional manner that fosters positive interaction with departments across the agency
- Ability to manage deadlines while executing multiple projects simultaneously
- Exceptional organizational skills required
- Team player with a sense of humor and desire to work as part of a group
- Demonstrated success in managing projects, managing and escalating issues as appropriate
- Knowledge of the Greater Boston Jewish community a plus
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to JCC Greater Boston’s mission
Competitive salary and benefits. Interested candidates should send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls.
Administrative Development Coordinator
JCC Greater Boston (JCC) is seeking a self-motivated Administrative Development Coordinator to join our Development team. Reporting to the VP of Development, the Coordinator is responsible for coordinating all aspects of Development Operations. The JCC is looking for an enthusiastic candidate with a measurable record of accomplishment, experience working with volunteer leadership and successful teams, and knowledge of the Boston, or similar, Jewish community to help achieve or exceed our goals.
Essential Functions include:
- Use database to track visits, calls, solicitations, donor interests and other key information and extract information for team and individual needs
- Improve and maintain data integrity by collecting and updating all key donor data, including foundation giving and gifts to other institutions
- Improve organization-wide data integration for Development team, including collection of event and program attendance and coding for proper segmentation
- Provide data on annual campaign progress and status, as needed
- Coordinate with Business Office to ensure that all gifts are entered properly in database
- Inform Business Office of any special situations or specific instructions to comply with donor intention
- Coordinate weekly general and customized donor acknowledgement letters
- Assist with other projects such as “in honor of” and “in memory of” cards
- Assist with Foundation grant applications and reporting
- File and maintain donor records, correspondence, and other relevant information
- Prepare Development reports, in coordination with IT Department, as needed
- Monthly billing of gifts
- Track overdue gifts and report information to supervisor
- Support lead staff on annual Gala and Golf events, as well as other events as needed
- Manage gift entry, tracking and acknowledgement
- Perform other tasks as needed in preparation for events, committee meetings and individual solicitations
- Maintain Departmental calendar of activities
- Generate and send weekly upcoming visits report to internal and external teams
- Help set up meetings and make room reservations & food orders when needed
- Assist with research and prepare materials for President/CEO and VP of Development in advance of key meetings and events
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree, combined with two or more years of experience in fundraising, sales, or other customer service-oriented administrative work. This position requires strong verbal and writing skills, and the ability to work in an environment involving multiple tasks and priorities. The ability to work independently as well as in a collegial team environment is essential. Candidates must have strong competency in Microsoft Office Suite programs, particularly Excel. Experience working with fundraising or other similar customer management data base systems is preferred. Demonstrated ability to work with and maintain confidential information.
25 hours per week. Competitive salary. To apply, please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls.
Part-time Experiential Educators
JCC Greater Boston seeks part-time educators for Discovery Club, starting fall 2018. Discovery Club invites kids ages 5-8 to connect with Jewish values and culture through skill-building activities that nurture each child’s specific interests. We are looking for experienced, talented individuals who can help kids make connections between Jewish life and the world around them, and are willing to be both teachers and role models. Number of hours per week and exact location(s) can vary, depending on your schedule and flexibility; we are currently seeking instructors for Newton, Somerville, and Jamaica Plain during afterschool time (3pm and on).
To Apply: Please submit a resume and paragraph of interest to email@example.com, and you will be contacted to discuss next steps. Qualified candidates will be asked to submit a course proposal.
Assistant Member Relations Director
Seeking an Assistant Member Relations Director for the Leventhal-Sidman JCC in Newton, MA. The Assistant Member Relations Director is responsible for assisting the Member Relations Director in managing the operations of the Member Relations Center. The Assistant Member Relations Director will develop relationships with existing members, new members, prospective members, guests, JCC staff and other groups in the community to grow the JCC’s membership base and strengthen retention.
The Assistant Member Relations Director is expected to be fully knowledgeable about the JCC and its programs/services. In doing so, the Assistant Member Relations Director will build strong working relationships with staff in all areas/departments within the JCC. In addition, the Assistant Member Relations Director is accountable for the highest level of customer service to the members, potential members and guests.
He/She must have superior problem-solving skills as well as computer competency. The candidate must possess strong interpersonal skills including excellent phone etiquette, and be able to interact with staff and the community at large.Previous customer service, sales, supervision and operations experience are required. This is a full-time 40 hour salaried position. (Exclusive of Lunch). Schedule is not negotiable: Tuesday-Saturday (schedule may include early mornings, evenings and occasional Sunday events.
Please email a letter of application and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to the following address:
Tim Cornely, Member Relations Director
Jewish Community Centers of Greater Boston, 333 Nahanton Street, Newton, MA 02459
Customer Service Representative – Part Time
Seeking a Member Relations Customer Service Representative at JCC Greater Boston in Newton, MA. Responsible for welcoming and directing all members and guests who enter the JCC, answering and directing telephone inquiries, registering members and guests for classes, navigating the membership database with proficiency, providing information to prospective members and representing the JCC while maintaining the JCC’s highest standards of customer service. The candidate must possess strong interpersonal skills including excellent phone etiquette, and be able to interact with staff and the community at large. They must have superior problem-solving skills as well as computer competency. Bachelors degree a plus. This is a part time position, 15-20 hours per week. Candidates must be willing to work shifts covering the operational hours of the center including early morning, evenings and weekends and must have reliable transportation.
Please email resume and availability to email@example.com or mail to Tim Cornely, Member Relations Director, JCC Greater Boston, 333 Nahanton Street, Newton, MA 02459. No phone calls, please.
Member Relations Customer Service Representative – Full Time
Seeking a Member Relations Customer Service Representative at the JCC in Newton. Responsible for welcoming and directing all members and guests who enter the JCC, answering and directing telephone inquiries, registering members and guests for classes, navigating the membership database with proficiency, providing information to prospective members and representing the JCC while maintaining the JCC’s highest standards of customer service. The candidate must possess strong interpersonal skills including excellent phone etiquette, and be able to interact with staff and the community at large. The Member Relations Customer Service Representative must have superior problem-solving skills as well as computer competency. Bachelors degree a plus. Competitive salary and benefit package. Candidates must be willing to work shifts covering the operational hours of the center including early morning, evenings and weekends and must have reliable transportation.
Please email resume and availability to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Tim Cornely, Member Relations Director, JCC Greater Boston, 333 Nahanton Street, Newton, MA 02459. No phone calls, please.
Food Service Staff
JCC Outdoor Pool Snack Shack, by Tova’s Catering
Tova’s Catering is looking to hire hardworking reliable summer food service staff to work at the kosher Outdoor Pool Snack Shack, located at the JCC Greater Boston in Newton. We will be running the Outdoor Pool Snack Shack during the period from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Perfect for high school and college students. Flexibility in hours and days. If you are interested, please email resume to Victoria@tovascatering.com.
Outdoor Pool Desk Attendant
The Membership Department of JCC Greater Boston in Newton, MA is looking to hire an Outdoor Pool Desk Attendant this summer. We are looking for someone with a friendly personality who can provide excellent customer service. You must be able to develop positive working relationships with members and be able to help and resolve member issues and concerns. It is important that you are self-motivated, able to multi-task and are comfortable answering the phone. This position is a seasonal.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Provide outstanding member services by creating a welcoming and safe environment.
- Assure that every member is properly acknowledged when arriving to and departing from the pool.
- Maintain current knowledge of related daily events being held at the pool.
- Enforce the rules and regulations of the outdoor pool.
- Learn all aspects of the outdoor pool desk daily operations including monies from guest pass sales, towel rentals and pro-shop items.
- Verify all memberships and check ID’s.
- Answer telephones and transfer to appropriate department.
- Properly balance cash register prior to and at the end of your shift.
Please send your letter of application and resume to email@example.com or JCC Greater Boston, Tim Cornely, Director, Member Relations Center, 333 Nahanton Street, Newton, MA 02459. Phone: 617-558-6411.
Age Group Coach, Karishim Swim Club (KASC)
KASC swimmers have experienced steady improvement over the past ten years in both the highly competitive New England USA Swimming league and the less competitive JCC league. Our 130 athletes experience competitive success and personal, emotional growth because our coaching staff believes that prioritizing team building and growth mindset makes the happiest (and fastest) athletes.
- Age Group Coach (reports to Head Coach)
- Plan, schedule and lead group practices
- Submit all written practices to Head Coach at beginning of each week during training phase of employment
- Coach and assist at both USA and JCC swim meets
- Attend all coach’s meetings (approximately 4-5 per year)
- Assist Head Coach in drafting/dispersing information pertaining to your swimmers
- Potentially help determine swimmers’ events for meet entries
- Starting salary will be in the range of $18-20 per hour. Potential to make $50 per hour teaching private lessons for swimmers on the team and/or other participants in our swim setting
Applicant Coaches must:
- be USA Swimming certified or be willing and able to become USA Swimming certified within the first 30 days of employment
- be excited to incorporate the USRPT training method into their daily practices
- be professional, enthusiastic and POSITIVE people who exhibit effective teaching/communication skills
- demonstrate a commitment to continuing their education, in the sport of swimming and coaching
Applicant Coaches may (but not must):
- be ASCA certified
- have prior competing and/or coaching experience in swimming or any sport
- be knowledgeable of stroke/skill technique, season/workout planning and dryland training/technique
To apply, submit a letter of application, résumé and at least 3 professional references to Aquatics Director Korrinn Lubarsky at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Indoor pool swim class supervisor
We are looking for someone with an outgoing personality who can provide excellent customer service. You must be able to develop personal working relationships with members and be able to help and resolve member issues and concerns as well as check-in swim lesson participants. Must be self-motivated, able to multi-task and comfortable speaking to parents and children.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Initiate warm and friendly welcome to all clients entering the pool facility.
- Be helpful, considerate and try to work out any issues.
- Be accountable for the physical appearance and overall organization of the pool, including station set-up, aquatics equipment, deck furniture, and station breakdown.
- Have a thorough knowledge of and ability to communicate the particulars regarding the Lenny Krayzelburg Swim Academy program to clients.
- Take attendance for each scheduled class.
- Help monitor safety and act as “another set of eyes” at the pool. The children’s safety is always the most important responsibility.
- Make sure that all children under the age of 3.5 wear a swim diaper, vinyl swim pant and a swim suit.
- Give out skill stickers for the students if the instructor does not have time.
- Help facilitate communication between parents and the instructors or the office.
- Maintain clear access around the pools.
- Assist instructors to give the office any swim level changes.
To apply, send resume to email@example.com.
Lifeguards are responsible to enforce safety rules and provide appropriate supervision for the pool area, and ensure a safe environment in and around the pool area. Lifeguard candidates MUST have current certifications in Lifeguard Training, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, First Aid, and AED.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Ensure safety in and around the pool area at all times
- Anticipate hazardous conditions and take precautionary measures
- Render first aid and CPR within the scope of employee's certifications
- Maintain pool area so that area is kept clean and safe at all times
- Create a warm and welcoming environment for all members
- Attend training or staff meetings as scheduled
- Maintain appropriate certifications
- Understand safety and emergency preparedness procedures for the JCC
This is an hourly, part-time position. Daytime, weekend and evening hours will be required. Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Swim Instructors teach swim classes for babies, children and adults using the SwimRight® Method which is a part of the Lenny Krayzelburg Swim Academy. Swim Instructors should have experience teaching swim lessons and enjoy working with children. Swim Instructors are mostly needed for afterschool and weekend hours.
The Lenny Krayzelburg Swim Academy (LKSA) is a unique aquatics education program organized around swimming foundations and designed with an emphasis on safety. From the age of three months, children (and adults) can start at any time--and learn and progress at their own pace. Students are taught the SwimRight® method, which focuses on correct body positioning and proper alignment from the early stages of lessons.
To become an instructor, there is a 40 hour training that must be taken. The 40 hours is a mixture of watching videos, learning about the method and program, co-teaching, teaching on your own and a test at the end. The cost of the program is $200 and you will earn that back if you work for us for 6 months consecutively.
Candidates fluent in Russian and English encouraged. Send resume to email@example.com or contact 617.558.6468.
South of Boston
South Shore Family Connector
JCC seeks Family Connector in South Shore area (Hingham, Hanover, Weymouth, Cohasset, Scituate area)
JCCs of Greater Boston is seeking a highly motivated, outgoing parent who loves meeting new people and connecting them to one another and to Jewish life. The ideal parent is highly networked and engaged in parent and/or Jewish communities, has a child(ren) ages 0-5, has excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, is familiar with online communication outlets for new parents, and has program development experience.
The candidate should be self-driven, able to work independently as well as part of a team, working directly with the JCC's South Area Family Program Coordinator. Experience working with families and/or children preferred. Residency in South Shore area required.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Join the JCC Family Engagement Team
Are you interested in a family-friendly part time position in Metrowest? Are you a naturally social person who enjoys working with families and being a part of a vibrant community? JCC Greater Boston has a part time position (10 hours/week) that is available immediately.
JCC Greater Boston offers a robust array of opportunities for families with young children to meet and connect with one another and we are growing in the Metrowest vicinity.
Our Family Connector positions (FC) play key roles in networking, building relationships and planning low barrier activities and programs that meet the needs of families and connect them with one another. FCs are outgoing parents with children ages 0-7 who love meeting new people and connecting them to one another and to Jewish life. Experience working with families and/or children preferred. Residency or strong connections in respective communities required.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.